Autism Spectrum Disorder: 5 Smart Strategies to Manage Emotional Outbursts
Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) or commonly known as Autism is a developmental ailment. A person with ASD is faced with social, behavioral, and communication problems. What people diagnosed with Autism syndrome have in common are repetitive behaviors and eccentric responses. Inevitably, people living with ASD will have emotional outbursts, so you have to prepare yourself. The following are five effective ways to properly respond and manage outbursts:
- Try to find the reason behind the outburst. The first step to effectively respond to a person with ASD is to understand the reason behind their emotional outbursts. Most of the time, what triggers their outbursts are the lights or sounds. Check your television if the volume is too loud or if your light is too bright.
- Patiently calm them down. It is true that there are times when people with Autism are uncontrollable; thus, making it difficult for you to handle. However, all it needs is patience and dedication to make them calm down. Appeal to their senses by gently calling on their name and calmly gesturing them to behave. Call their name until they lend their ears to you, and then tell them to behave by giving them a gesture to sit down.
- Redirect their attention. Try to redirect their focus or attention by showing and giving them their favorites. In this way, you can melt down their emotional outbursts.
- Bring them to a peaceful and serene place. Some people with ASD tend to get distracted with too many people and too much noise. That is why if you have guests at home, try to bring your loved one somewhere quiet and peaceful, and allow them to stay there for the meantime. Also, to secure their safety, never forget to check on them from time to time.
- Engage them in exercise. Multiple studies show that individuals with ASD who engage in regular exercise have lesser negative emotions. Physical activities are great outlets for stress and aggression which needs to be flushed out of their system.
Colorado Family Quality Home Care is a provider of Home Care in Aurora, Colorado that specializes in physical therapy. We offer Home Exercise Programs for individuals with ASD. To arrange for our services, please do not hesitate to give us a call at 303-632-7225 or drop by at our office located at 1450 S. Havana St., Suite 410 Aurora, Colorado 80012.